The energy and creativity of volunteers provide essential support to our gardens and programs. We welcome volunteers with an interest in plants to help our Horticulture Staff maintain the Arboretum’s gardens.
Drop-In Volunteer Opportunities
No RSVP Required.
- Mondays – 1 to 3 p.m.
- Tuesdays – 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. or 1 to 3 p.m.
- Wednesdays – 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Second Saturdays, March through November
9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
March 11, April 15, May 13, June 10, July 8, August 12, September 9, October 14, November 11
Park in Lot 1 on Meetinghouse Road. Once on campus, register your vehicle. Enter the Arboretum through the Meetinghouse Road Entrance, through the trellis.
You will find details about that day's project on the white board at the Entrance Circle Garden.
We provide all tools and gloves. Bring water and snacks and dress to work in the gardens. Closed-Toe Shoes Required. Dress in layers, remember water, sunscreen and insect repellant.
Other Volunteer Opportunities at the Ambler Arboretum
- If you are interested in becoming an Ambler Arboretum volunteer, please fill out our online volunteer form.
- Adopt-a-Garden – Experienced gardeners wishing to volunteer on a weekly basis may arrange with the Arboretum Horticulturists to volunteer regularly in a specific garden area. Weekly Volunteers typically work a half-day per week and assist a Horticulture Staff member with all tasks needed to maintain the garden section throughout the season.
- Arboretum Docents – Lead visiting groups through the garden areas so they don’t miss the seasonal changes, new projects, or historic highlights. Training will be provided.
- Publicity and Outreach – spread the word about the Arboretum at various regional events. We will provide everything you need, you provide the enthusiasm! You may also contribute photos and content for our social media and newsletter.
- Group Volunteer Opportunities – If you are interested in having a corporate, scout, school or organization group volunteer in the Arboretum reach out to Arboretum Director Kathy Salisbury to arrange. email@example.com or 267-468-8400.
- Experienced gardeners wishing to volunteer on a weekly basis may arrange with the Arboretum Horticulturists to volunteer regularly in a specific garden area. Weekly Volunteers typically work a half-day per week and assist a Horticulture Staff member with all tasks needed to maintain the garden section throughout the season.
For more information about these volunteer opportunities for individuals 18 years of age and older, contact Kathy Salisbury, Director of the Ambler Arboretum of Temple University, at 267-468-8400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ambler Arboretum Advisory Committee
The Ambler Arboretum Advisory Committee meets at least quarterly and its purpose is to advise and counsel the Ambler Arboretum Director.
Members engage in strategic planning for the Arboretum, provide information that may impact the Arboretum, lead and assist efforts to obtain funding for the maintenance and enhancement of the gardens and grounds and provide leadership and commitment to Temple University Ambler and the Ambler Arboretum.
The Advisory Committee is comprised of no more than 20 external members who are interested and passionate about the mission and vision of the Ambler Arboretum. Members often bring expertise and skills, which help the Arboretum to reach and maintain its goals and visions.
The Ambler Arboretum Advisory Committee played a key role in the conceptualization and establishment of many of the Arboretum’s gardens as well as supporting student workers and connecting the Arboretum to the surrounding community.
For more information on how to become a member of the Arboretum Advisory Committee, contact Arboretum Director, Kathy Salisbury at 267-468-8400 or email@example.com.