Federal Aid Dependency Status

Dependency Status Questions on the 2018-2019 FAFSA

  1. Were you born before Jan. 1, 1995?

  2. As of today, are you married? (Also answer “Yes” if you are separated but not divorced.)

  3. At the beginning of the 2018-19 school year, will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program (such as M.A., M.B.A., M.D., J.D., Ph.D., Ed.D., graduate certificate, etc.)?

  4. Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. armed forces for purposes other than training? (If you are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee, are you on active duty for other than state or training purposes?)

  5. Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?

  6. Do you have - or will you have - children who will receive more than one half of their support from you between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019?

  7. Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2019?

  8. At any time since you turned 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care, or were you a dependent or ward of the court?

  9. Has it been determined by a court in your state or legal residence that you are an emancipated minor or that someone other than your parent or stepparent has legal guardianship of you? (You also should answer “Yes” if you are now an adult but were in legal guardianship or were an emancipated minor immediately before you reached the age of being an adult in your state. Answer “No” if the court papers say “custody” rather than “guardianship.”)

  10. At any time on or after July 1, 2017, were you determined to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless, as determined by (a) your high school or district homeless liaison, (b) the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development or (c) the director of a runway or homeless youth basic center transitional living program?**

** Not living with parents or being claimed by them on tax forms does not make you an independent student for purposes of applying for federal student aid

What if I answered Yes to one or more of the questions above?

If so, then for federal student aid purposes you’re considered to be an independent student and will not provide information about your parents on the FAFSA. If you are an independent student, you need to bring your 2016 W-2 form, 1099 form and 2016 income tax return.

What if I answered No to every question?

If so, then for federal student aid purposes, you’re considered to be a dependent student, and you must provide information about your parents on the FAFSA. If you are a dependent student, you need to bring your and your parent's 2016 W-2 form, 1099 form, and 2016 income tax return.